Saturday, February 16, 2013

Simplicity 1699 Jacket Muslin

You've got to see all the progress Victoria of Ten Thousand Sewing Hours (who is hosting the fun Fearless February Sew-Along) has made on her Burda 7192 pants pattern!

From the muslin, it looks like the pants are turning out great.  Can't wait to see them finished! 

 

I spent my Friday night working on my  challenge for Fearless February sewing a muslin of this Simplicity 1699 jacket:
It's a simple lined jacket.  I was surprised when I opened the package to cut out the pieces for the jacket and found there were only 3 pieces.  3!!
There are no zippers, no buttons (uh oh, maybe it wasn't so much of a challenge!)  The pattern does call for a Novelty Braid, which I'm guessing is sort of like adding an embellishment?  It should add a pretty element to my jacket. I'm not sure if I'll do that in black or white or a different color.  I can see this jacket with red or green or blue or yellow.... the color combos are endless!! 

The fabric I have chosen is this pretty black on white eyelet from Yellow Bird Fabrics.  I just have to say, I ordered the fabric over the phone and the customer service was great!! I was very happy with my fabric and the quick shipping.

I worked up the muslin with some kind of cotton fabric I had in my stash.  I think I got it from Joann's when I first started sewing last spring.  Here's my muslin:
I'm not crazy about the way the sleeve poufs at my shoulder.  What do you think about it? It feels a bit too snug around the top of my arms.  Should I size up or just sew a smaller seam? 

Here's a semi side view - I like the way the jacket fits for the most part.  There won't be any closures but there will be some kind of trim around the neck, hem and front opening. 

It falls right over my hip - there is a little fabric wrinkling at my waist in the back but I couldn't a good photo to show you.  I can update later if I can get someone to take photos for me. 


These photos probably all look the same but I wanted to see what it looked like with my hair down.  I always wear it down and over my shoulders.   

See those wrinkles?  That's just from trying it on for about 1/2 hour.

The shoulder has a pleat in it.  I'm not sure if I like that. 
So that's my muslin.  The only thing I'm not crazy about is that pleat in the shoulder of the sleeve.  I think when I sew the actual jacket, I will sew the seams less than 5/8".  Maybe with a little more room in the sleeve, they won't pouf up like that.  What do you think?  I'm not really sure what the problem is there.

What do you think of the way the jacket fits on me?  This jacket will mostly be worn with sleeveless tops or dresses.  I don't like showing my arms much so this will be perfect for wearing around the office or out with friends.

I would love to hear your thoughts!  I'm going to work on the muslin for the Cordova now.

Happy Sewing!!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny! Love the pattern you've chosen. Going on what you've said about the upper part of the sleeve feeling a little tight, I'd go up a size rather than compromise to less the 5/8" seam allowance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I'm going to try that suggestion to see what the difference is.

      Delete
  2. That's a very cute pattern.

    Like Faye suggested, I'd go up a size on the sleeve as well, and also if it was me, I'd cut the armhole in a bit at the top as it looks like it's too wide for you on the shoulder. I think if the shoulder seam was the correct width the pleats in the sleeve might be quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ok - I'm working on the muslin now with a larger sleeve size and I'll play around with the armhole at the top too.

      Delete
  3. Very nice....the length is good on you.
    I am a beginner sewer and patterns so confuse me!! You did great!!

    Take care,
    Nonny
    www.notionsfromnonny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to find an online resource for adjusting the arm only, but couldn't find it! I was thinking that since you said you like the fit of the body, you could do an adjustment just to give yourself more room in the arms. Most of the fitting books have this: Fit For Real People, for example. It's a slash and spread method that wouldn't alter the armscye or sleeve cap - doesn't look too difficult in the books, although I've never tried it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail - thanks for the tip, I decided to go with a larger sleeve which seems to have helped a lot :)

      Delete
  5. That muslin is looking great!
    I nominated you for the Leibster award! Thanks for being inspiring!
    beebeesvintagedress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny,

    Good luck with the sleeve alteration - it does look too tight on you. Sometimes its the pattern, or sometimes the wearer - swimmers often need alterations around arms because they build up so much muscle. I am not sure how you could alter the arm with three pieces - it could be tricky as armscyes are difficult to change - the sleeve also needs to be altered to fit. The front looks lovely. Sarah Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've almost got the sleeve alteration all sorted out. I will post as soon as I'm done :)

      Delete
  7. Looking great so far... well done! With the sleeve you may just want to do an upper sleeve adjustment... I tend to have to quite often with sleeves. You might find this article helpful http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/5052/on-fitting-sleeves/page/all or if you Google "Upper Sleeve Adjustment" you'll find quite a few more as well... hope this helps a little. Looking forward to seeing your jacket completed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the links - I'm going to check them out.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~