Thursday, February 21, 2013

Simplicity 1699 Jacket - All Done!

My little jacket is all done!!

I used Simplicity 1699 which is a pattern of coordinates.  It includes a jacket, a peplum top, a dress and a pair of pants.  I've only done the jacket so far.  I am so pleased with this jacket.  It was nice to get compliments at work today and that was before they knew I made it. 

I took these photos outside before the sun went away.  I hope they provide a good look at the jacket.  It's a very simple one - the bodice is lined and there are no closures.  You can add trim but I figured with the fabric I chose, it didn't really need it.  I can always add a button and a loop if I want to close it.

This is cotton eyelet fabric from Yellow Bird Fabrics in Utah.  




It's lined with cotton batiste.

(Why do I always look so serious?)  I love how comfortable this jacket is.  I wore this all day at work.

I cut a size 12. I didn't need to do an FBA or anything other than size up for the sleeves.  The 12 sleeves were too tight for my comfort. 
Maybe I should cut on the fold.  Next time I will. 
 If there was one thing I could change - it would be to cut the back piece on the fold.  There was really no reason not to, I was just following instructions.  But overall, I really like it and I think it came out cute.  I will get  a lot of use from this jacket.  I want to make more in a variety of colors.  It's a great summer jacket for the freezing cold office.  I think this one will look great with a red dress or a green dress. 

Once I was done with the muslin and the fit right, sewing the jacket went pretty quickly.

Conclusion:  I love it!  Another item to place in my clothing rotation. 





21 comments:

  1. Nice work, looks great:)
    could you make it in a thicker fabric for cooler days you think?
    Or would it not sit right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I would think you can - like maybe a light wool or a double knit (both lined of course). It's definitely for woven fabric so those should work. I wonder if others have thoughts about that? Good question!

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome! Love that print- it's really eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I'm impressed at how quickly you made it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised that this was a quick sew. Bonus!

      Delete
  4. Oh that's very smart. I was interested in the instructions not suggesting you cut on the fold - I've come across this before and then thought it would have made more sense to do it that way. Such a great pattern though you're sure to make a few :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I WISH I had thought of cutting on the fold before I cut this out - but I'm happy with it anyway. Yes, I plan on making quite a few more.

      Delete
  5. This looks great! The simple shape of the jacket suits the print on the fabric. And the jacket fits you nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love it! I was having a hard time picturing how this fabric would translate into a finished garment, but it's SO cute! And you really nailed the fit - I'm glad it ended up not being too difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty simple after all. I got the idea for using this fabric from the envelope. The envelope suggests eyelet fabric but when I started searching for eyelet - it was pretty sad looking until I found this one. I love it!

      Delete
  7. What a cute jacket and you got the fit just right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny, your jacket is a credit to you, especially after all the trouble you had with the sleeves. I think the fabric is much better than eyelet would have been - especially for work. It looks so smart, and being light also flattering for you. I'm going to have a look at your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice! I'm glad you picked the eyelet. It's such a pretty fabric and really stands out in the pattern you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're looking great in that jacket! What an interesting choice of fabric, I would not have thought it would turn out so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!!!

    I decided to make this jacket, googled the pattern and here you are! I think we are becoming sewing twins! :)

    I was concerned about the sleeves as I was cutting it out. I will be making a muslin of this for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~