Saturday, January 19, 2013

It's a wrap!

So a few days ago I asked "which one will it be" in this post.  I was leaning towards the wrap dress and after everyone suggested the wrap dress - that's the one I chose

But instead of using Vogue 8379, I used Kwik Sew 3489.  (I will use Vogue 8379 very soon)  I chose Kwik Sew 3489 because I had never sewn a Kwik Sew pattern and it was a true wrap dress.  Confession - I'm not sure if V8379 is a true wrap dress or not, but I shall find out soon.

KS 3489 was a very easy pattern to sew.  The instructions were phenomenal - very easy to follow.  I still managed to mess up a bit and sewed one of the tie ends to the wrong part of the bodice.  Thankfully, I realized my error and it was easy to fix - phew!

I overestimated the sleeve measurements and when I first sewed them they were huge! They were baggy and not flattering at all.  I ripped them off and placed the pattern piece over the fabric and cut the size I wanted (small).  Perfect - worked like a charm and the fit was smooth after that.

The fabric I used is this jersey (printed only on one side) from lowpricefabric.com - link here.  I love this fabric!  It has a nice stretch, good recovery and is thick enough that you don't need to line the dress or wear a slip.  That's a win!

I'm so happy with this dress! I hope you like it too!  I really did enjoy sewing and wearing this :)

Here are some photos:
I was trying it on here - you can see how baggy the sleeves are.  They don't like this anymore - they are nice and fitted. 


Close up of the bodice

On the dress form

Hard to see but I did topstitch along the front bands with my double needle for a nice clean finish

Me again in the dress.  I think it has a flattering fit - it minimizes problem areas.  

12 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this! The pattern and fabric are perfect for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous- so flattering and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful - it seems to have turned out great :D xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Now you've got me wanting to make a wrap dress

    ReplyDelete
  5. So gorgeous and very feminine too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! It really is my favorite so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! I love wrap dresses but have never made one. I'll be adding this pattern to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend a wrap dress! So comfy and easy to wear - just watch those windy days!

      Delete
  8. You did a lovely job on this dress! I used the same fabric to make a Style Arc Creative Cate top and a Kwik Sew skirt. Isn't it so comfortable?? I saw it on lowpricefabrics.com the other day and am so tempted to buy more to stash for a later date. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the fabric is awesome!

      Delete
  9. Ooh...this is a gorgeous wrap dress! The print and fit are great! Now added you to my bloglovin list :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~