Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

I hope everyone enjoyed their Labor Day Weekend.  I love long weekends.  I got to see my family and a few friends. We celebrated two special birthdays this weekend ~ one for my dad and another for a dear friend's baby who just turned 1.  It was a fun weekend ~ full of grilled food and cake and lots of fun by the pool.

Now that it's the (unofficial) end of summer, I kind of feel like it's time to give up white jeans, open toe sandals and jersey dresses and trade out the summer clothes for fall stuff.  But wait, I don't live in NY anymore and I still can wear my summer clothes ;)   so I'm going to continue with some projects.

Saturday morning I worked on this top:

Poolside with my new top
It's a simple top to make - no pattern needed.  You can find it here @ Mimi G's blog ~ It's the second one I've made.  This one is a knit and it was pretty easy to make.  Here's a close up:

Can you see the faux ruffle?  
It's so comfy and easy to wear.  I made the straps wide enough to hide my bra straps.  My mom wants one now :)




I also have a friend visiting from NY soon, so I'm making a maxi dress for that weekend.  The pattern is Simplicity 1881 which you can see here

So far, I've done the skirt for it:

No that belt will NOT be worn with it - I just pinned it to Sally and I'm using the belt to hold it up in place.  It's hard to tell in the picture but the top seam will be gathered.  Do you like the print?  Just screams maxi dress right?  I think it'll look nice when it's all done.  I just have to work on the bodice. I'm using view B from the pattern and it will be sleeveless.

I've been working with knits on my last few projects and I really like knits.  They drape so nicely. Soooo, I got some more patterns (Joann's was having a sale this weekend - I hope you didn't miss it!)
Vogue patterns were on sale for $3.99 and McCall's patterns were $1.99. Here are some of the ones I purchased:

Both of these patterns suggest Challis, Crepe and/or Cotton Lawn and Poplin.  I'm searching online for fabric.  Do you have any favorite online fabric shops? 

Love the knit dress on the right and I think I found the perfect fabric for the dress on the right

I love these! 
 New patterns always lead to new fabric:
This is a knit and so is the one below



oh and I just ordered a serger (Brother) from Amazon.  I'm so excited!  Since I really like sewing with knits I figured it was time to invest in a serger. I hope I chose the right one for me. 


Thanks for reading

G'night!

Jenny

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good weekend! Posts about holiday weekends and the like make me a little homesick. :)

    Your top looks so good! Well done. And I second that about working with knits- so relatively simple and wearable for the effort put in.

    And yes, I'd say that yellow print is dying to be a maxi dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was such a comfy top, I'm thinking of making a few more. I'll post the maxi dress when it's done - having a bit of trouble with sewing in the facing and making a perfect V at the neck. I think I may have to do that part by hand ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course new patterns lead to new fabric! Good luck with Simplicity 1881. I found it pretty time consuming, but I do like the shape of the bodice. I just wished it looked better on me! Lol! The print you are using is just perfect for a maxi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~