Monday, September 17, 2012

Clover Pants ~ Part 1: Muslin

So, I am working on the Clover pants from Colette Patterns.  I know, I know, I'm all late to the game and everyone's gone home.  It's okay - better late than never! I figured I would make these  pants and add them to my fall wardrobe.  If I can get the fit right, I can make a whole bunch :)

So far I traced and cut two sizes.  I don't need to say which ones, do I? 



Anyway, someone graciously gave me a light tracer a few months ago.  I couldn't figure out how to use freezer paper or parchment paper or butcher paper..you get the idea... to trace this so I got this out from it's hiding space in the garage.  Finally!  I got the darn pattern traced using regular computer paper.  Did I do okay using this method?  I guess whatever works, right? 

What is that in the corners, you ask?  Well, those are pattern weights I made myself.  I wrapped up some washers in fabric and tied it. 

I've done two muslins so far.  The second one is a size smaller than the first and a better fit.  I need to make some adjustments and I'm slowly figuring out what they are.  I have a short torso so I have to adjust for that.  Right now, the pants fit fine everywhere else, but I'm wondering if I adjust for the short torso will the back be too tight?  I might have to make a full derriere adjustment as well.  We'll see.
For the past two days I've been reading tutorials on how to construct trousers and these pants in particular.  There are so many awesome versions of these pants!  I hope mine come out well.  I'll post the pictures when I'm done. 

If you have any advice on sewing these pants, I'd love to hear it :)

Wish me luck!




7 comments:

  1. Nice! If you forsee a lot of tracing in your future (i.e. using magazine patterns-Burda/ Patrones/ LMB etc) I'd recommend a double tracing wheel (Clover) and Carbon paper. Both are pretty cheap on ebay and with the two wheels you get a lot more control and precision + automatic seam and hem lines =D
    Also I'd recommend installing install disqus people don't have to deal with recaptcha to comment. Disqus handles spam blocking for you (it uses Akismet, the same algorithm that's built into Wordpress) and enables cross platform commenting while keeping tabs on comments, responses, pings and trackbacks. This means people from wordpress, typepad, livejournal, overblog etc will be able to keep track of responses without having to get a Google ID-which is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thanks for letting me know about the disqus thing. I really don't want to put people through the hassle of using that stupid recaptcha thing. I'm going to enable that right now! And I really like the idea of the double tracing wheel. I tried using the single one and I didn't like it - no control lol.

    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those'll be great, very practical style and you can make them fit perfectly!!

    Testing out your comment regulations now... If you turned off the captcha, I'm sure it'll work just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, Clovers! Have fun with that! If you get stuck, drop me an email. :) http://3hourspast.com/2012/06/21/finished-object-teal-clovers/ These were the ones I made myself.

    Have you muslined them without altering? That's usually a good idea, so you know for sure what works and what doesn't about the pattern... I've just wasted too much time in the past guessing what alterations I needed to do and making muslin after muslin. :) Best luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steph! I'm stuck on them actually. I made about three muslins and none were "right". The last ones were just too low in the back. I am working on the final rendition now with the fabric I intended for them. I just decided to "go for it" and see what happens. As I've been doing that, I discovered I don't like the fabric I chose for them - too flimsy. oh well, live and learn. I'm putting in zipper tonight so I can check fit. I'll email you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~