Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Clover: Part ....4 (skipped 2 and 3)

It's been a while since my last post.  Apologies for that.  I could tell you the reasons why but they're not terribly exciting or happy/positive so I'll just talk about the sewing.  But it's a good thing that I'm sewing again :)

Clovers:
Maybe it's just that I've never done a pair of pants before and I'm still adjusting to my "curves" (to put it nicely), but these pants make me want to pull my hair out!  Or flip a table or curse someone out.  Argh!!   I have so far worked on 3 muslins - each with a different adjustment. Not one adjustment has worked so far (grrrrrrrr).

As of this weekend, I decided to start from scratch (no adjustments) and just sew it up.  I purchased some fabric from Joann's (I know, I know but that's the only reasonably priced fabric place around me) with 97% cotton and  3% spandex.  I figured a little stretch would be good, especially for my hips.  I also decided to experiment with finishing the seams.  I used a mock flat fell seam using my serger to finish one end and my sewing machine to finish it off.  Click here for a tutorial for the mock flat fell seam
A serged seam (not a mock flat fell seam)  I LOVE my serger :)

  I do like the way it looks. In hindsight though I should've kept it simple while I was still fitting.  Oopsie oh well.

So for my 4th version of these *&^*ing pants there are a few issues which I'm not sure how to resolve.
1. The front sits higher than the back making the back of the pants sit a little low.  I feel like it looks like I have a wedgie. Ew.  Not sure how to straighten that out. 
2. The pant legs are too wide ~ which means I have to take them in now but I'm worried about how that will affect the crotch area.  Well that's not too bad, at least they're not too tight!
3. The crotch is a little baggy.  The bagginess goes away when I pull the pants way up high on my waist. um yeah, no.
Sorry no pics for the fitting of these pants.  I'm not brave/courageous enough.

On the good side:
1. I put in an invisible zipper with my metal invisible zipper foot and attached a facing to the waistband ~ yay!  That's an accomplishment for me.  I used this tutorial to help me
2. Uh, can't think of another, except I'm glad to be sewing again.  I missed it.
 
So if I really want to get these Clover's right ~ another version it will be.  I'll work on that. Sigh


In the meantime, I needed a sense of accomplishment so I sewed this easy dress up:
 Ugh, it looks like a sack.  Then again, when I put it on (right after I finish sewing that right sleeve in.  I had to take it out after I realized I put it in all wrong *rolling eyes*) it looks different.  Thankfully, my hips give it more shape.  This is Simplicity 2054 version B:

I used a double knit which is so comfy.  I'll probably wear this when it gets cooler out and with booties. Maybe I'll take a pic when I finally wear it.  It's too hot for 89 degree weather!

I learned how to alter a pattern with this dress because my hips needed a larger size.  The larger size is on another envelope so I used this book to help me:
Since the dress is a one piece design, this book helped a lot by using the pivot method.  It worked for me!
I also have a couple of other books that I'm going to read (especially the pant fitting section).  One is Perfect Fitting by Sarah Veblen and The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns: The Perfect Fit.  I'll share photos next time. 

So that's it for now.  Still working on the Clover's and I've got to read my two new books to see if any of them can help me with those pants.

Happy Sewing :)

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that the sewaholic thurlow has a more curvy shape than the colette clover, maybe you could try the thurlow and narrow the legs if you're looking for a more slim legged look like the clover. I haven't attempted pants yet! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing those Thurlows around and I really like how they look. I've seen a lot of really nice Clovers too. Well, still trying :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~