Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How to Thread a Serger

In last night's post, I mentioned that I just purchased a serger.  Among the many reviews that I read, I learned that people have trouble threading the machine.  It's very intimidating with 4 threads going through the machine - upper looper, lower looper, up, down and around, what the?! 
The machine sat on the table for a few days before I decided to watch the DVD that came with it (or CD, whatever, I watched it on my desktop).  The first  thing I learned about threading the machine was to snip the old thread, tie a knot with the new thread, step on the foot pedal and let it run through the machine.  EASY!!!

And, this morning, I had an email notification of a new blog post (yes, I get many notifications throughout the day as you guys post your blogs because I LOVE reading what you post :)) from Fashion Incubator.  The article discusses how to easily thread a machine. 

If you haven't heard about this blog before, you're in for a treat.  The amount of time, effort and information put into this blog is just incredible.  I'm saving my dollars to buy her book too although it's more for the entrepreneur and I'm not at that level,  yet.

Here's the link:

http://fashion-incubator.com/archive/how-to-change-thread-on-a-sewing-machine/

UPDATE:
 There's another video that talks about sergers on Mimi G's blog.  She just posted it today at mimigoodwin.blogspot.com

And yet another update as of 9/15/12 - I received an email on this post today:
http://fiveeighth.blogspot.com/2012/09/get-more-out-of-your-serger.html

They're actually using the serger I purchased - a Brother 1034D.  


I hope this helps anyone who is considering purchasing a serger. 

Have a good day everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new serger. I find it a great toy. I read Kathleen's blog too and have been pondering about getting her book...though I will never be in the sewing business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it seems like a really good book full of information. I'm sure the business principles must apply to other arenas. I will probably purchase the book sometime soon. It seems too good to pass up. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~