Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What a Ham!



I made a ham!  lol it was really too easy.  I've been wanting one for a while now but I didn't want to order it and pay what - $10 bucks plus shipping (Amazon)?? nah - I've got fabric-stash busting to do, so here's the little sucker:


 Cute right?  I just stuffed it with fabric scraps - some of them cotton, some of them knits.  I'm going to make a seam roll next - just after I gather some more fabric scraps.  It was easy and I found a tutorial for it - let me know if you'd like the link - I can post it.

Another link I found is a  great tutorial on the Narrow Hem Foot - there are great photos and everything: http://prudentbaby.com/2011/05/baby-kid/the-narrow-hem-foot-5-minute-tank-tunic-part-2-2/


Hope that helps (hope the link works - let me know if it doesn't, I'm still learning how to be a blogger)

So my latest project is the 2nd from the left - that pink dress:

While I was not blogging - I started a muslin on New Look 6097.  I love the way it looks in the photo~  and here's my muslin:

Of course in this picture it's unfinished as I still had to attach the bodice to the skirt and attach the sleeves.  It was tricky working with this jersey knit.  I used a ballpoint needle and a zigzag stitch.  The fabric was a bit slippery and stretchy and it took patience to sew with it.  I read somewhere that it's best to use a walking foot with jersey so that is now in my Amazon cart and I'll be ordering it very soon.  I find that pattern fitting with the jersey was easy.  This was good practice. 

So here I am wearing the dress - with sleeves and still unhemmed....

I think I really like the end result of jersey knit - it's kind to the curves of the body! And it's super soft and comfy ~ it feels effortless to wear.  I may have to wear something that covers up my girls a bit more.  Can't walk into work like that.

I'm almost done with the actual dress.  I just have to add the sleeves tonight and hem the skirt. I'm going to use my twin needle for the first time for the hem.





It's hard to see the bodice pleats and the pockets with this print but they're there.  This dress will be exactly the same as the one above.  I'll wear it with my favorite Kenneth Cole nude heels and belt. 

There's another version with 3/4 sleeves and a collar.  I'd like to try that one too but in a medium weight knit for the fall (which around here starts in late October, sigh).  I want a navy or royal blue one to wear with my knee high camel boots. 


So, what do you think?  Should I keep going or just stop now? lol




4 comments:

  1. Keep going! Your wearable muslin fits great and would be perfect for a date night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks! I'll keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *wolf whistle* Loooove your work! And way to go making a ham, I keep intending to but never quite get around to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh thank you Steph. That purply dress I'm wearing was my first knit ever! I'm really proud of it. I wore the green one today so I'll post pics soon.
    I may just have to gift you a ham :) - I do love all the info you post on your blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~