Saturday, March 16, 2013

Chiffon Maxi Skirt

I made a maxi skirt! Here it is ~


I used a poly chiffon from lowpricefabric.com  - they have a lot of pretty fabrics in poly and silk that can be used for maxis, scarves, etc.  I think I'm going to order more of these fabrics.  I may just rock maxi's all summer!! 

This skirt was super easy to make and quick.  I used Mimi G's free tutorial located here on her  YouTube channel: link  Please let me know if that isn't working for any reason.  I'll link you to the post instead on her blog instead.

I did something a little different than she did.  Since this chiffon is very sheer - doubled my skirt and I think I may have to line it or wear some kind of spandex shorts underneath - even with double layers it's kind of sheer.  You can see the sheerness of one layer in the photo below. 


I used my Narrow Hemmer Foot on my regular machine.  I confess I haven't tried doing that on my serger yet.  I used that narrow hem for all edges - the seams, waist and hem.  The reason why is because chiffon frays.  After I finished all the edges, I made the casing for the elastic.  I just treated both layers as one - this fabric is thin enough so there were no complications there.

I popped in my elastic - closed up the waistband, gathered my fabric evenly and done!!



Mind you, this is the first time I sew with chiffon.  I didn't worry about cutting my fabric perfectly since I knew that it was going to be gathered at the waist with elastic.  It may have slipped a few times and been uneven, but can you tell?
I found some other maxi skirt tutorials that use knit as an underskirt.  I'd like to try that too.
 
Conclusion: I'll work with chiffon again and I really want to make some more maxi skirts.

Now off to find suitable tops for this :)




20 comments:

  1. Oooh, that's so pretty! Now I want one too! I had a couple of skirts like this in the early '90s, and I wore them to death - I really ought to make some new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should! They are super fast and easy :)

      Delete
  2. That's really pretty. I love maxi skirts and dresses for the summer. I've just (shock, horror) bought 2 maxi skirts in recent weeks and I'm waiting for the weather to warm up enough for me to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I've never worn one? I don't really know why but now I'm hooked lol

      Delete
  3. Super cute. I would love to make my own clothes. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Shim! But you can make your own clothes ~ it all begins with a straight stitch :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenny, I've missed you! I do love this skirt - and as you say, no-one will notice any flaws. Chiffon is tricky to work with. I like the see through look - it adds to the feel of lightness with the skirt - so some little leggings would be great. You can use lightweight linings under chiffon, and that may make things a bit more opaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Sarah! I know I've been MIA for a bit ~ yes, chiffon is a bit tricky but if it's something flowy, all imperfections are hidden quite well :)

      Delete
  5. You'll really enjoy this beautiful skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful fabric- great job! I've not worked with chiffon before, was it hard?
    I'm giving you the Versatile Blogger award! Check out the info in my blog post- http://thedressmakingdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/versatile-blogging.html
    Love what you do!

    Freya May

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have sewn a great skirt - chiffon is just so hard to sew up! But the flowing look it gives is always worth it...J

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I have a chiffon dress in my to-sew pile but I am just too scared to take it to the needle...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this skirt! It's so perfectly summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and with the belt? SUPER cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The skirt looks great and you sewed the chiffon perfectly, your hem looks flawless :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful fabric, I'll bet it feels gorgeous against the skin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great skirt - looks perfect for the summer - and not a wonky seam in sight! :)

    x Elena
    www.randomlyhappyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't heard from you lately. Are you still sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi - thank you for asking :) I am still sewing and I have been sewing steadily! I've been learning a lot! I haven't had a good camera or computer for a while now. I'm getting the computer fixed this coming week and hopefully I'll be back to blogging soon. Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment ~